🌱 Please note that this content is old and may be outdated since IrisBG has been developed further. This material is shared merely as a source of inspiration. If you are interested in learning how something is done in IrisBG today, just comment below or contact us.
Scroll down to find pdf's as attachments. The content presented by IrisBG has been taken out of the programme, but at the conference we also had training, workshops and updates on new features.
In 2017 Hortus Botanicus Leiden was our host garden for the 2nd IrisBG User Conference, held May 12th.
One for all, all for one: IrisBG at Hortus Botanicus Amsterdam
Roel Westendorp, horticulturalist at the Hortus Botanicus Amsterdam
– A horticulturalists journey to gain full control over propagation work with inventories, mapping and more.
Workshop 1: Key performance indicators from IrisBG
Mats Havström, Senior Scientific Curator at Gothenburg Botanic Garden
– Mats were asking how he could use IrisBG to measure if he had reached his goal "The plant collections should be of such a high standard and accessibility as to enable research and qualified education". To see what the community came up with, check out the group work pdf .
Stock checking: how do you keep up with your plants
Christopher Weddell, Senior Gardens Adviser at English Heritage
– After the 2nd year with IrisBG, Christopher is exploring and testing what the software can do for him – Could Events be used to record stock checking? Or Tasks?
Recurrent planting schemes
Renske Ek, Curator at Paleis het Loo
– On how to work with IrisBG to plan ahead and work with recurring plant schemes.
Workshop 2: Sex, death and resurrection : grabbing hold of your annuals
Anneleen Kool, Associate Professor at Oslo Botanic Garden and Reinout Havinga, Head of Garden and Collection at the Hortus Botanicus Amsterdam.
- How to balance scientific rigor and practical record keeping in living dynamic collections?
Check pdf for notes/answers to the questions:
• Do you have a collection policy regarding annuals?
• How do you keep track of their life stage and location?
• New labels every year? What is on them?
• Harvesting vs ordering from others?
• How detailed is the data you keep compared to perennials?
• Are you happy with your system?
Improving label workflow: IrisBG and a new laser engraver
Pete Atkinson, Cambridge University Botanic Garden
– On how to use Items Management to update label type and status, Tasks and more.
Collection sponsoring: keeping track of tree adoptions
by Gerda van Uffelen, Hortus Botanicus Leiden
– On how to use IrisBG to manage your tree adoption program, with Custom Attributes, Tours in Garden Explorer, Funding and more.
⏭ Since July 2021 we are hosting a virtual Coffee Chat to provide our community a way to connect without having to travel. Register if you'd like to join and let us know if you have something you'd like to get the community's input on.
The IrisBG User Conferences was initiated by Reinout Havinga, Horticus Botanicus Amsterdam. From 2016-2019 had an annual European User Conference hosted by one of our users. Due to the global Covid-19 pandemic, the 2020 Plant Records Conference in Mainz was arranged online, but we are looking forward to we can organise the 5th IrisBG User Conference again in the future.